After I returned home from Europe post PBP (Paris-Brest-Paris) I got a message from Jen at Sparta Chicks Radio: would I do a follow up podcast?
I said no.
No because I wasn’t ready to talk about it. No because I wasn’t in any way shape or form prepared to share what I went through. No because the trauma was way too real. It was too soon. I was too raw. I wasn’t in a good space.
And no because… well, I didn’t think anyone would want any more details than I’d already talked about on the blog.
Turns out I was wrong.
What it’s about
Jen says: In Part 1, Tiff shares:
* the last 3 months of her preparation for PBP including how she tried to balance full-time work, her training load, family and travel,
* how her self-confidence got ‘wobbly’ when she arrived at bike check-in for PBP,
* why she chose to start her race at PBP at 4.30pm,
* the reason she struggled during the first 70km (of a 1,200km event) and the point at which she realised listening to other people’s advice was no longer serving her,
* what she loves about riding through the night and what her ‘sleeping’ plan was going into the event,
* what happened to her “lady parts” during the ride and why she needed white wine vinegar, and
* why she ultimately had to stuff a bidden into her bra to hold her head up after her neck muscles stopped working around the 900km mark.
How to listen:
To listen to the podcast on, click your link of choice below:
- On the web: https://www.spartachicks.com/131-tiffany-winchester-1/
- iTunes: https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/131-1-tiffany-winchester-on-paris-brest-paris-the-race-part-1/id1204966485?i=1000463043127
- Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/episode/3KgoJMdMi42JhY3iimoXxG
Note however that it’s probably best to listen to this with headphones on… it does get sweary.