Not too long ago I got a message on Instagram: would I be interested in being interviewed for Sparta Chicks Radio?
Sparta Chicks Radio – hosted by Jen Brown, founder of Sparta Chicks – is a podcast of open and honest conversations about the realities of fear and self-doubt and how you find the courage and bravery you need to chase your goals and dreams.https://www.facebook.com/pg/spartachicksradio/about
Now I’d been following and chatting with Jen for a couple years already, and am a big ‘fan’ of the work she is doing, so of course I said yes!
We recorded the episode on May 1st, and it went live on June 10th.
What’s it about?
Jen says: In this conversation, Tiff and I discuss
- her “25 year rest week” she took after her first bike race (and how she didn’t touch a bike again until her late 30s)
- how she got back into exercise in her late 30s (initially it was ‘procrasta-hiking while doing her PhD)
- how she resisted the idea of cycling at first because her identity was so connected to being a runner
- the “intervention dinner”’ that resulted in a plan to get her back into cycling (and why she hated cycling for a few months)
- the importance of taking your training (but not yourself) seriously
- why she had to stop racing for her mental health and instead discovered ultra-endurance cycling
- the importance of setting up your bike correctly for ultra-endurance cycling; your lady bits will thank you
- how her love of doughnuts was born
- the confidence that comes from pushing through the “darkness” on a long ride and finishing what you set out to do
- her experience with the Imposter Complex
- why she didn’t consider herself a cyclist until after her first 1,200km ride
- the impact of social media on her perception of herself as a cyclist and how it fed her Imposter
- how she finds time to train for an event like the 1,200km Paris-Brest-Paris while balancing full-time work and a family
How to listen?
To listen to the podcast on, click your link of choice below:
- On the web: https://www.spartachicks.com/109-tiffany-winchester/
- iTunes: https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/sparta-chicks-radio-mindset/id1204966485
- Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/episode/3aNQnaBSbiTHZ2nXSH3A7A
- Stitcher: https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/sparta-chicks-radio?refid=stpr
- Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/user-43817037
Note however that it’s probably best to listen to this with headphones on… it does get sweary.